Our closet was installed yesterday & I feel so much more organized!!! Until yesterday, we kept some of our clothes down stairs, some in the garage and also split them up between the boys’ bedrooms and the loft family room. (We’re really going to miss hopping around the house half-clothed looking for pants!! 😉 😉 Our closet is where the master bathroom used to be and is about ninfeet by five feet:
We still have more work to do in here (more searching for long-lost items & I need to get baskets for the shelves) but I’m feeling SOOOO close to normal!!
You probably know all of this anyway, but I thought I’d share a few of my closet makeover tips: (I’ve used these tips even when I’ve had a teensy closet.)
1) Ditch everything you haven’t worn in a year. (And continue to ditch monthly and/or whenever you bring in new clothes or shoes.)
2) Matching hangers.
3) Separate out: his & hers and then- dresses (long and short), pants, tops & jackets, etc.
4) Color code your wardrobe… I do the rainbow & then I have a bigger section for white, since I have & wear so much of it.
5) Good lighting… It’s really important that you can see everything you have.
6) ** So important for me- It’s nice to have a spot/drawer/whatever for those things that are clean -because you tried them on or wore them for a second- that you don’t have time to put back right away. It keeps them from ending up on the chair in your bedroom.
7) A fresh coat of paint on the walls
8) Matching containers for loose items likes belts or scarves or hats or bags… It feels so much better when you use 1 or 2 style of container throughout the closet because then your eye focus on the differences in the clothes and not on the mish-mash of containers. If you can label them, even better.
9) A mirror close-by or in if possible. (Ours is just outsidde the door because it we don’t have room)
10) An at-a-glance-philosphy… Try to make everything you can (it’s not always possible) be visible at a glance so things are easy to find & you can get ready quickly.
I have never had a closet like this before & I’m feeling very spoiled by it. It’s not a huge closet by any means, but it’s more than I ever could have imagined. (To be honest, with my Catholic guilt, I’m DEFINITELY feeling spoiled.) We were able to get everything on sale during the Container Store’s Fall sale & adding the few cool little gadgets in the closet really makes it feel special & I’m so glad we did. We’ve always fought for space in our closets before & to have something that we planned out ourselves & that works so perfectly for us feels like such a luxury. After yesterday, I decided that I think organization might be the biggest luxury for me. (or one of them 😉 😉 What do you think?